Installing the Tracking Code
There are various methodologies to installing tracking code. I will document what I know, as I use the different methods. Sometimes you will copy the tracking code into an html file, additionally there are plugins have been created for many different Content Management Systems including Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, Moodle and many others.
Locate Tracking Code
You will need to start by locating the tracking code for the website that you want to track.
- Log on to your Matomo site.
- Click the Administration button (cog top-right).
- Go to Administration > Web Sites in the left pane.
- Click View Tracking Code for your website.
- Make any settings and then click the Tracking code area.
- Copy the selected text.
Visit the list of available plugins and download the appropriate one ( I chose the nfrPiwik357 plugin). Additionally some Joomla Templates have the option to insert analytics tracking code. Even though the template option might be labelled 'Google Analytics' it will typically work just the same.
- Install the Joomla plugin in the usual way.
- Paste the tracking code into the plugin, and Enable the plugin.
You will typically need to wait a few minutes for the tracking data to start coming in.
Thanks for visiting.