How to edit the Hosts file
The Hosts file is a local file on your Windows workstation, that allows you to override DNS records. This can be useful if you need to access a website for which you are waiting for DNS changes to be replicated across the internet.
The hosts file is hidden by default, so first we need to show hidden files.
- Start by opening Windows Explorer.
- Press and release the Alt key to reveal the Menu bar.
- Go to Tools > Folder Options...
- Select the View tab.
- Click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Click OK.
Next we need to open Notepad as an administrator.
- Click the Start button, and Search for Notepad.
- Right-click it and choose Run as administrator.
- Click Yes in the dialog box.
Now we can open the Hosts file.
- Go to File > Open
- Browse to C:\system32\drivers\etc
- Change file types from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files.
- Open the hosts file.
- Add the following lines to the bottom of this file, and Save the file.
Thanks for visiting.