Configuring Windows Server 2008
Initial configuration tasks wizard
From clean build you can start with the Initial Configuration Tasks dialog box.
- Set time zone, edit if not as expected.
- Configure networking:
- Right-click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties.
- Remove the tick against Internet Protocol Version 6.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click Properties.
- Enter a manual IP address.
- Provide computer name and domain:
- Click Change and change the Computer name only.
- The server will restart.
- Download and install updates:
- Click Turn on now and follow the wizard.
Deciding what roles your Server 2008 will undertake is the most important part of the configuration. The Initial Configuration Tasks wizard helps to setup these roles.
Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
- Click Add roles.
- Click Next.
- Select Active Directory Domain Services and click Next.
- Read the introduction and click Next.
- Click Install (it will take a few minutes).
- Click Close.
Once you've installed AD DS you will need to promote this server to be a Domain Controller.
- Click on the link given or go to Start > Command Prompt.
- Click Next.
- Read article http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104751 and click Next.
- Select Create a new domain in a new forest and click Next.
- Enter the fully qualified domain name (eg yourdomain.local).
- Choose Windows Server 2008 for the Forest functional level, unless you have a good reason not to.
- Leave DNS server selected and click Next.
- Do you want to continue? Click Yes.
- For now the default folder locations will be fine.
- Enter the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator password and store it in a safe place.
- Click Next (DNS will take a while to install, you can select Reboot on completion).
- You will now be able to logon with your domain\Administrator account using the same password that you set for the local Administrator account.
Thanks for visiting.